Large Item Pickup is for residential customers only. The City of Athens will not pick up items from commercial properties or rental properties.
Brush left out for pickup should be kept separate.
Large items are picked up on a set biweekly route schedule. Under the new schedule, streets north of Highway 30/Decatur Pike will be collected on the first and third full weeks of the month. Streets south of Highway 30/Decatur Pike will be collected the second and fourth full weeks of the month. Large items should be placed three to five feet from the edge of the road by 7:00 AM Monday of the scheduled week in order to ensure pick-up.
Items That Can Be Picked Up
- Mattresses and box springs
- Large toys, like basketball goals or ride on cars
Items That Cannot Be Picked Up
- No boxes or bags of household items
- Limbs over eight (8) inches in diameter
- Hot Ashes
- Food Waste
- Cross Ties
- Automobile Parts: batteries, transformers, automobile fuel tanks, tires or any large automobile parts
- Combustible Items: gas, oil, paint, lacquer thinner, pesticides, or empty paint/thinner cans
- Building Materials: boards, shingles, lumber, concrete, blocks, rocks, bricks, asbestos, insulation, sheet rock
- Dirt, gravel, or fill materials
- Appliances with compressor still intact (compressors must be professionally removed prior to pick up)
- Household Garbage (including clothes)
- Recyclable Materials: cardboard, paper products, magazines. To dispose of recyclable materials visit the City's Recycle Center.