Skip to main content
- The City of Athens Parks and Recreation department holds the annual Daddy Daughter Dance at McMinn County High School cafeteria. There are 4 dances held in two days; one Friday night at 7:30pm and then 1:00pm, 4:00pm and 7:30pm on Saturday.
- - The City of Athens Parks and Recreation department annually celebrates receiving Tree City USA status from the National Arbor Day Foundation. Athens City School students, Kindergarten through second grade, participate in a coloring contest while students, third through fifth grade, participate in a writing contest. Winners of the contests are recognized during the celebration, held on the Quad at Tennessee Wesleyan University.
- a fishing license to participate, but must bring their own fishing pole, bait, and be accompanied by a parent or guardian. The TWRA will stock the lake with over 800 rainbow trout days before the derby. Once the lake is stocked with the additional trout, the lake will be closed for public fishing until after the fishing derby. In partnership with the Fishing Derby, Comcast has their annual “Comcast Cares Day”. Comcast and their employees invite everyone to volunteer their time and assist with the derby.
- hree divisions; the Stock class, the Super Stock class and the Super Kids class. Stock cars are the beginning division and race at 200 pounds, car and driver, Super Stock Cars are for a more advanced, larger driver and race at 240 pounds and Super Kids are double seater cars, where special needs youth are driven down the track by experienced drivers. Stock and Super Stock will compete in a double elimination, time differential, wheel- swap race. Drivers range in age from 7 to 18 years of age and they all race together.
- - The City of Athens Parks and Recreation department holds an annual Learn to Swim program at Ingleside pool for boys and girls ages 5 and up. The classes are 45 minutes a day, Tuesday through Friday for two weeks. Participants must pre-register and classes are limited to the first 30. A one-time donation of $5 per child is requested for the lessons.